Wednesday, October 17, 2007

seasons? i don't understand this word.

There's a bit of sun peeking through the gray, right this moment. I think it may be the first time I've seen any amount of shadow in about 4 days. OK, that may be an exaggeration (what?! mollie, exagerate....never). But, it's been cloudy and windy and cold and rainy here for 4 days. The leaves are doing this strange thing where they are turning colors, and dropping off the trees. I think this is what people not from southern Arizona call "fall." It's nice, so far. Although the office of the mime troupe is quite chilly, we're all bundled up. And I need to get Puppy another tank heater. He's good though, seems to be enjoying his new home. I need warmer clothes, too. Time for some thrift store shopping! Anyway, life in SF. It's a whole new world, living here and not working for the Mime Troupe. Things are going well, so far. I think. Last week I stage managed dance for the first time. We sold out our second night, and got a standing ovation. And I totally did a good job. So, the company, LEVYdance (google them, my friends), hired me for their January tour. I'll be stage managing and lighting directing (as well as be in charge of fitting the set into all these tiny different spaces) a small tour that is going to D.C., New York, and Philidelphia. Which is a little bit awesome, because what I put on my Mime Troupe aplication is that what I wanted to do next, and thought that the mime troupe would help prepare me for, is stage manage and lighting direct a small tour. Like whoa, people. Anyway, that was good times. Also, the crew at the space we were in liked me, and I'm sending them my resume so they can officially hire me to do overhire work, mainly load ins and sm'ing backstage. I also lighting designed a show in this awesome new space in Alameda, a show called "Tip of the Iceberg," about global warming. Very limited time, but it turned out nicely, I think. And, I am doing another show in the space that runs Nov 9th and 10th. And, I've been doing some electrics calls at ODC, which is this awesome dance space like 10 minutes from where I live. It used to be a stable, and was built right before the 1906 earthquake....you can see the damage from both big earthquakes in the walls. But, I love the space, and they put up interesting dance things, and the TD is awesome. He's really good friends with Will, the mime troupe sound engineer, which is how I know him. It pays well, and it's really nice to be doing electrics again. Monday I did an 8 hour call. The first few hours were just Will, Eric and I, hanging lights and listening to some good music. It's one of those things that is so comfortable and happy for me, I really missed it. Spending large amounts of time with good friends, just working in a theater. It's so calming. I don't really know how to describe it, I can't, except to those people who know exactly what I'm talking about. Anyway, it was nice after several months of stage managing, to get back to doing some lighting things.

So, work wise, things are decent. I'm booked fromthe beginning of January through the end of March. Now, I just need to worry about finding work for next week...which apparently is going around. Another friend said that he's booked for most of spring, but has big open spots for the rest of the year. We'll see how it goes. I'm interviewing this week to board op/load in a show that would keep me busy from Nov. 4-Dec 15. Which would be great. And, I would go to Humbolt for like 5 days, and Oregon for about a week (i think....although i don't know where in oregon), and then it runs here in the city for 3 weeks. We'll see, friends, we'll see. Anyway, I really live in this crazy city now, and am trying to make friends and find work. And doing ok at it. At the moment, I think that I can make my living in theater here. Which is totally insane and something I didn't expect and makes me giddy. But I still miss you, loves. Enjoy the cooler weather in the desert. I'm enjoying cooler weather here, although I definitly need new clothes (and the money with which to buy them).

1 comment:

Meg said...

I really really love you!