Monday, October 22, 2007

yet another blog about how much life (and SF) rocks

This is probably getting old for you. It's not for me. I am, however, getting used to living in this amazing city, and occasionally forgetting how much life is rockin' at the moment. So, I write these blogs/journals/things to make sure I remember (for longer than just now) how amazing moving here and surviving is.

So, Friday, I designed a show. With 8 lights (and 4 cliplights, cause I'm bad ass). In our tiny studio space. About 20 people came. I didn't get paid. And I loved every second. I never want to get to the point in my life that I won't do a show like that for free. That I have sold out, or become too much of a technician that I won't do a show about something I care about done by people I care about for cheap or free. Anyway, my design looked good, for what it was. And I had a really good time, and I love the people who created the show. Afterwards, I went out to a nice little bar with some friends and had a few drinks. The weather was beautiful...a tad cold. Scarf and hat and layer time. And I got to spend some time with Mo before she went home to Hong Kong. A friend of her's from home has been with her since she got back to SF, so it was nice to have some time without him.

Saturday, I slept in, and did basically nothing all day. Hung out with Liza, de-stressed, sat on the couch. Good times. Then we went to see Thin Air, at ODC. A modern dance show, that I worked on (loaded in, anyway). The lighting design was neat. There was one cue that swept me away. And the show itself was really good, in my opinion. Then Liza and I went for a drink at Dirty Theives. And walking home, right on our tiny little side street, we ran into amazingness. A little tent thing set up on a street corner (23rd and Treat), with a sound system and some lights completely powered by 2 bikes. And there was a band, and guys on stilts with fire, and a slack line walker, and a grafitti artist. Just, on our street corner, doing there thing. The police came eventually (we were blocking the street a little...but still, no neighbors had complained, and we were peaceful and such....it was stupid), and we discovered that this was part of MAPP. Which is a neighborhood co-ordinated event about twice a month, where people turn their garages into art gallerys or performance spaces or both, and the tiny gallery, Red Poppy, opens up and basically local art awesomeness happens. I love my neighborhood.

Sunday, I worked at ODC (hooray working in theater!). Then, we went down to Valencia, and met up with a bunch of friends, and went to see a show. 2 of our friends are in this band, Lord Loves a Working Man (they just came off the Tour de Fat like....Saturday), so we went to Amnesia to see them. Awesome show. Good times. Good friends.

So, life here is ok. I'm working at the front desk of the mime troupe, kind of running the day to day operations (yeah, I was an intern like...last week). And I'm working at ODC, which is this beautiful dance theater right down the street, a lot a lot. It's fun elex work, and I adore the technical director, and it's good good money. And the shows are usually good. I'm still feeling tingly and amazing whenever I step back from this and realize that I am making a living in San Francisco doing only theater/dance that I like. If I was still in Tempe, I would be making a living in my chosen career, but it wouldn't be only shows I actually like. It's a pretty amazing ride, kiddos. I mean, it definitly has it's ups and downs, and I am still trying to deal with making friends and such, but overall, life is good. AND! I might get to go home for Christmas. Not New Year's (cause I leave for the east coast on tour on the 2nd), and not Thanksgiving (working at the Mime Troupe), but Christmas time is definitly a possibility.

No comments: