Friday, January 25, 2008

i amaze even myself sometimes...

So. On my list of states I've been to. I forgot Arizona. I only lived there for 19 years. No big thing. I didn't really get a sense of the state. Not like New Jersey, which I rode ChinaTown bus through on my way from DC to New York. Now that, my friends, is getting to know a state. Anyway. I am home. Big updates and what I've been up to, go:
1) Gilly got here yesterday!!!! I am very very joyous about this. Not only is she totally awesome, but she can cook a mean risotto (no, really, it'll fight you), AND I'm not alone living in the troupe any more! But, mostly joyous cause she's totally awesome.
2) The last time I saw sunshine was in New York, when it was about 25 degrees. It's in the high 40's here (occasionally will break the 50 barrier), but it's been raining/spitting/dripping alternately and very grey since I've been back. I made split pea soup, and toasted everything bagels for lunch yesterday, which was just about perfect food for this weather. Next I want tomato soup and grilled cheese. I don't have the ingredients for tomato soup, though. I did buy this really really good english sharp cheddar at Rainbow. For those of you who don't go to Rainbow Grocery regularly (which is most of you, being far away), their cheese selection is amazing. And so tasty. I usually end up buying whatever they are sampling when I go in. Anyway, I love this weather, but it sucks when you have to go out in it. I've been working at ODC this week, which is about a 12 minute walk away. I can't find my umbrella, but luckily I have this ridiculous green raincoat. Also, no heat in the troupe. The space heater works pretty well in the room that I sleep, but the rest of the place is really cold. For work, we all close ourselves into one office with a space heater, but I would guess it doesn't get out of the 50s in here. The kitchen is worse, I've been cooking a lot since I've been back, which helps warm it up a bit. I'm ready to move out.
3) I've been looking for an apartment! It really sucks. I've never done the looking for a place to live thing this way. I've always either known the people I want to move in to their place (katherine), or looked for a house with a bunch of people (v and the boys). So, I've been looking on craigslist and going on interviews and I suck at first impressions and the housing market makes it really hard and everyone in this city is looking for a place right now. The places I've been interviewing say they've gotten over 100 responses usually. And, I've been hauling myself all over town (mostly to the sunset and the richmond) in the f*ing rain.
4) I'm also sort of looking for a job. I am leaving my position at the mime troupe when I move out (no money to pay me), and while I could get by (barely) on what I'm making freelancing, I would rather know for sure that I have enough for food and gas and a drink or two. Looking for a job also sucks. I've been so stoked about making it just doing theater for 8 months. But, it's necessary. We'll see what I find.
5) I've been working at ODC all week. I can't say enough how much I love working there. Eric is fantastic, and really has the space running well. Also, I like the space. And usually the shows. However, this is a kids show. The company teaches classes for kids, and this is their performance. I'm running the boards (lights and sound) for it. It's exactly what you would expect of a modern dance class performance for young highschool kids. But, it's the first time I've run the board at ODC, so that's good.
6) I teach my first class on Monday. 14 elementary school kids and tech theater. Win. I'm a little nervous, I've never taught younger than high school. I also have 8 back to back hours of production meetings for this festival on Sunday. It's going to be a long day. I'm a bit nervous. But, this job should be good. It's 2 entire months of work! And, it pays pretty pretty good.
7) I had a tiny little very calm mini-meltdown on Tuesday night. About finding a place to live and a job and what I want to do in the world and friends and thinking about what I left in Arizona a little bit. I didn't really know I needed it or that it was coming. But, I was driving home from yet another interview at an apartment, and I had to go directly past Will's, so I stopped to say hello. And then I had my little melt down. It was good. To talk about it. And to get a hug. And then I went home and baked. Which is always my favorite way of feeling better. Also, I made chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. And. They are pretty pretty good, if I do say so myself. Like whoa, peoples. I have some skills. Anyway. The meltdown is ok now. It's just a normal bump in moving to a new city and missing people and missing having a place to live and missing having enough work to make a good living in theater. I had the first tinge of should I have done this? The answer is still a very sure yes. Which I was reminded of by 3 good friends. Cause I do have friends in SF. I have amazing friends. But, that doesn't lessen my missing my tempe peeps at all.
8) I get to see Julia!!!!! Cause she is coming home!!!! And she will be there when I get there for Meg and Luke's extravaganza! I did a little dance right in the office and everyone looked at me like I was crazy! And then I teared up a little. I am so so so excited to see her.
9) I am going to Portland. March 28th-31st. Hooray road trip with SF friends. And especially hooray seeing Marcus. I will also see him when I'm in Tempe in like 3 weeks. (yikes, is it 3 weeks really? I need to buy plane tickets)
10) I am consorting with that boy again. People are worried that I am too attached and I want more than is ever going to happen. And while I was gone on tour, some of them had little chats with him about this. And warned him to be nice to me, etc. I think that this is a bit unnecessary. Also, I can take care of myself. And, it's really not fair to him. Anyway. Don't do that anymore, please. I am very aware of what our relationship is, and what it will never be. And I am perfectly fine with it. Also, he has been a very good friend lately (oh, the mini-meltdown).
11) I guess this should have been first. I am home safe in SF from the LEVYdance tour. It went very well. We sold out some and got reviewed lots and had lots of fun and lots of presenters saw us. I am excited about my future with the company, and what we will be doing next. I adore the dancers, and love working with them. They were an absolute joy on tour. Also, I had this idea in my head about what the perfect coming home would be. And, I pretty much got it. It included a good hug (got it first thing through the arrivals gate), a visit to Faralito (on the way home from the airport....burrito and a beer), and having some cuddles (cause it's so cold in the troupe), and then having some Liza time in the morning in my pjs before other people came in (we even had bagels). Anyway. Things are hopping back here. And are generally good, although I am stressing about work and apartment hunting. I did just get a bigger check than I expected from a place i work, so that's rockin'ly awesome.

Alright, super long life update done. Over and out. Time to work now.

No comments: