I feel like I should write something, just so you all know I'm still alive. Often in the past few weeks I've thought of a brilliant blog topic, only to forget it or (more commonly) decide it's actually pretty stupid. I'm all settled in my apartment. I'm all buddy buddy with my sort of crazy, but in a mostly good way, roommate. We cook dinner for each other and talk about our days and stuff. Also, we watched the debate together last night (he has a tv), and he laughed as I yelled back at the tv. I closed Candide. It was good. I'm spending some serious time in the LEVYdance offices working on our home season (for reals, I will cry if you live in SF and don't come...November 12-15), and more time in coffee shops working on everything else, and home season. I've fallen in love with tea. I've learned the bus system. I've been on dates. I've booked more shows. I've made friends visiting plans (Portland Nov 19-28, Phoenix Dec 19-21ish, Tucson Dec 22-29). I'm working on this interesting dance/theater piece about VietNam called The 5th Book of Peace. Too early to tell if it's awesome, but it kind of reminds me of a poor man's version of Movin' Out with text. I've followed the financial crisis in horror and terror, more so after talking to my parents....they can understand and explain how and it happened, and why none of the bailout plans they are discussing now will help at all, but neither of them have any ideas what will help. I've picked up enough of the financial knowledge of my fantastic parents to know that cutting the capital gains tax will have absolutely no effect. Silly super right-wing republicans.
Debate thoughts:
Nothing new, nothing unexpected. Two things that particularly struck me:
1) How much higher the level of debate was than in the last two series of debates. Both candidates were well informed, and had direct contact with each other, and answered a good portion of the questions (also, Jim Lehrer, you are amazing).
2) No one has any idea how to fix the financial crisis. Neither candidate offered any bit of a solution, and in McCain's case, a frightening budget freeze on everything except defense. Neither gave an opinion about what is currently on the table in Congress, or what they are even discussing at the moment. As my very wise mother said last night as we re-hashed via phone, "The scariest thing to me is that nobody has any clue at all how to fix this." Also, the guy that's been saying nothing's wrong until about a week ago is leading the charge to solve this. Yikes. My mom said that she could tell a good 4 or 5 years ago, as the housing bubble was....bubbling that we were headed for trouble. But, she know's what's what, and has frequent contact with mortgage brokers and the like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
...
...
Blog!
Post a Comment