As of this moment, I have worked 73 hours so far this week (starting Saturday). It's had it's ups and downs, it's twists and curves. I cried twice (just for a minute....then I got over it). But, over all, it's weeks like these that make me realized that I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. There is no other profession for which I would be cheerful when arriving at work for the 17th day in a row, after working 70 hours so far this week, after the frustration of inept co-workers. But. I was gloriously happy as I sat outside under the "tech tent" and went through a particularly complex bit of light cues (not that we could see them...as it's very daylight and the show is outdoors). Only in the performing arts are co-workers willing to stay at work until 1:30 (or later) in the morning to help fix your mistakes/problems, and be upbeat about it. And only in Blue Lake would one of those kind helpers pop across the street for a drink and then come back when we needed another body to test an effect.
So. We opened the festival to a sold out crowd last Saturday. Everyone that wasn't working thought it went amazingly well, while we were all kind of pulling our hair out. Tim Robbins gave a speech that gave me goosebumps, about all the things I believe about theater and the world (and he sure put in a nice, heart-felt Obama plug). Then all the P.O.H. guests headed outside to the amphitheater for some booty-shakin' to the Joyce Hough Band. Tim Robbins, at this point a few drinks, etc (this IS humboldt) in, gets onstage and sings 2 songs with Joyce. To cap of my 15 hour straight day of work, I headed to the Logger (really small town, remember), and joined Tim Robbins, members of the Actor's Gang, and some Dell Arte staff and friends. I worked crazy hard, things went not at all as planned, but all the tech worked, the lights looked good in 3 spaces, the band sounded good, the live video stream worked, and no one noticed that I even existed. That, my friends, is success for a technical director.
And now, we open Dell Arte's big show of the summer this evening. It's a parody of local politics, current events and the ways of our kooky little life up here in NorHum. It's the kind of theater I love, a fun, hilarious musical comedy about relevant social topics. Done well. And I get the pleasure of sitting at the back of the amphitheater and running lights (that I also designed) while sitting next to an excellent sound engineer each night.
So, life is good overall, if a little bumpy. Working hard. Not doing much else. An Arizona friend stopped in for a few days this weekend to visit, which was nice. I'll be in SF for the 4th. And back in the bay area for reals on the 29th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Did Tim Robbins let you climb on him like a big ol' beanstalk? Lucky...
Post a Comment