Chris is married. It was joyful. I cried (no surprise there). I laughed a lot. I was very well behaved, as were all the AZ groomsmen (and one portland jew) in the face of all that Baptistness. It was fantastic to see the Marley clan, a family I call my own, as well as all of the boys. Marcus commented, as we were sitting in the airport on the way out, that he has no other group of friends that he can be away from for any amount of time, and fall right back into place without any awkwardness. I feel the same way. Those boys take care of me like no one else, I know that if I needed them, they would come up to Northern California at a moments notice. I miss them. And my lovely Marcus. Spending a glorious long weekend with them was just what I needed.
And here I am, black in Blue Lake, working hard. Next day off: July 4. Most recent day off: June 9 (during which I flew from South Carolina to Portland, and drove from Portland to Blue Lake....23 hours of travel). We open the festival with the Prize Of Hope on Saturday. I have to have sound in 3 different venues, and lighting in 2. Difficult with only 35 or so lights and 42 dimmers. It's a good time. I've basically been working lots on creating lighting positions in the amphitheater, and moving around dimmers so we have control outside and in the theater, and cleaning, buying things (gaff tape, lamps, fog machine, rosco slit drapes), making sandbags, and sorting about 15 years of gel. Very exciting. My assistant td is fantastic, and works really hard, and is basically awesome. I also live with him, which is ok. He's 19, and just finished his first year of college, and lives like that. I close doors, turn off lights, wash my dishes, and cook actual food. He leaves cabinets open, the light in his room on, his dishes on the stove/counter, and scrambles eggs and microwaves burritos. It's alright, just a little different than I've grown accustomed to lately. The set is almost done, needs to be painted. We had our first sound tech for Korbel last Sunday, and it went very smoothly. The first summer workshops started, and Dell Arte has been inundated with students, including on that goes to ASU. I know him a very little. It's nice, and a little strange, to see an AZ face around here.
Had a very nice birthday celebration for Tyler at Jackie and David's on Sunday (after working all freaking day). BBQ outside, potluck style (i made egg salad). Danish Apple Cake, and a key lime pie (T's favorites). Beer. Margaritas. Other beverages. A birthday Blue Lake style. I knew almost everyone there, about 40 people. Lots of kiddies running around. Once it was down to about 10, we had a sort-of game night. We played Werewolf, which is basically the same as Mafia. I rocked it. It was totally different with a group of people that don't usually play games together (regular game night is 5 of us, only 4 were at this event), much less play Mafia frequently. Good times were had by all. There is much less strategy involved with this group of newbies, and games go much more quickly.
I've begun to fall in love with this small town life I am creating, and will be sad to leave at the end of July. It's a totally different way of life, and I kind of love it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment